Re: [asa] Theology of AGW WAS The Climate Science Isn't Settled

From: Schwarzwald <schwarzwald@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Dec 03 2009 - 12:25:13 EST

Heya all,

I'm going to come down in the middle on this one.

For one thing, I think "Gaia Theory" isn't some New Age religion in and of
itself. It is, from what I read, largely an idea about how the planet
"maintains itself" and corrects imbalances, and is an interesting
perspective on nature. I do not doubt that there are some people
(particularly New Age types) who give a very different rendition of Gaia
Theory and speak about it / describe it as if it WAS a component of New Age
religion. But one has to be very careful there - we all know how easy it is
to misuse an otherwise plain and merely interesting scientific theory.

That said... I think some people may be letting Gore off too easily. Let me
point out that I'm a big fan of Aquinas and others, who in turn made heavy
use of greek philosophy, islamic philosophy, etc. So I certainly would not
be one to argue that any thought pertaining to religion must come straight
out of the bible, or at least from a fellow Christian, lest it be discarded
as dangerous nonsense. Far from it.

But there are still problems here.

1. Talking about the importance of a "panreligious perspective", the
importance of having people "open their minds to teachings first offered
outside their own system of belief" should at least be controversial to a
christian, and required some additional defense and qualification. Please
note that Gore, in this quote, is talking about the "teachings" of these
faiths. The problem here is if Gore is saying something as simple as "be
responsible with the earth's resources", then christians do not not the
"teachings" of other faiths to justify this view. In fact, I'd love for
anyone here to give me an example of a teaching that christians would need
to absorb from other faiths.

2. The whole "green" movement does have some weird echoes of a religion
itself. I'm not just talking here about those New Age types who take that
more spiritual perspective on "Gaia", mind you. I'm talking about the entire
tendency to talk about "going green" and making some weird, stand-alone
moral system out of environmental concerns - sometimes complete with dogma
of its own. Ironically, James Lovelock had some problems with exactly that
dogma, being the booster of nuclear power that he was and is. Personally,
while I have great interest in conservation questions, etc, I have zero
interest in the "green" crap. I have a God already, one a bit more grand
than our lively chunk of rock.

So I'm not going to immediately condemn Gore as some kind of
crypto-Gaia-worshipper. But I'm not going to discard what he wrote as
obviously unproblematic for christianity either.