Re: a modest proposal [was: Re: [asa] Phil Jones Stepping Down..]

From: Rich Blinne <rich.blinne@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Dec 02 2009 - 21:00:54 EST

Note this was the result of a shout out to the community by the RealClimate
guys to show that there is transparency. When I first heard about the
accusations of lack of transparency I was shocked because I was using the
publically available data sources for quite some time to gauge the papers I
was analyzing. As I have been constantly been accused I am far from being an
insider and I have no secret decoder ring. I can think of no other area of
science that is more transparent and where the data is publically and freely
(as in no charge) available as climate science.

 As for what the step should be for the skeptics I would suggest they take
the raw datasets and show that the processed datasets are being manipulated,
or actually all of them manipulated because they track each other. This
would actually add value. Instead of re-running the computer program they
should come up with their own. By creating their own methodology for
processing the data common mode errors may and probably will be discovered.
The publically available programs can be used as templates of course along
with the canonical papers on methodology. One last clue before I sign off.
There's a reason why governments are involved here. Projects like this takes
lots of bodies.

Rich Blinne
Member ASA