Re: [asa] Theology of AGW WAS The Climate Science Isn't Settled

From: Schwarzwald <schwarzwald@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Dec 02 2009 - 17:27:59 EST

Heya Iain,

I'll happily supply the quotes to back up my claim. These are the words,
from me, that Rich was replying to:

*"There's something innately humorous about suggesting no one read,
distribute or discuss the content of those emails owing to, of all things,
professional ethics. The violation of which these emails, if they are
accurate, are exposing in great detail."*

Rich's response, with my emphasis added:

*Excuse me. This is a Class A Felony. On the BBC World Service I heard a
Cato Institute spokesman issue a deafening "no comment" on how these e-mails
were obtained when asked whether it was "dirty". This shocked me since I
thought libertaria ns were supposedly worried about protecting people's
privacy rights. Anyway, quoting from the e-mails is in essence trafficking
in stolen goods and as such has no place on this or any other Christian
forum. *

Quoting my talk of reading, distributing, and discussing the content of
these emails had Rich reply with 'This is a Class A Felony'. Now, Rich is
suggesting that he meant stealing the emails was the felony - I think that's
anything but clear from his reply, and this is the first time I recall him
making that clarification. Even if I were to grant that, there's the second
bolded portion: Quoting from the e-mails is in essence trafficking in stolen
goods. But now, well, that's mostly if they're doing so in a way that "bears
negatively", and other people may disagree.

Now, Rich just now offered an explanation: He didn't mean reading,
distributing, or discussing the content of these emails was a felony - he
just meant the way they were obtained, if they were. And also, sure, it's
trafficking in stolen goods.. but only in his opinion, and then mostly if it
"bears negatively", and sure other people may disagree with this, he's not
saying his is the only right view here. That's great.

In turn, I'm going to say: This is the first time I recall Rich backing off
his statement about "trafficking in stolen goods" and backing off/qualifying
what he meant by "Class A Felony", and I haven't exactly been all quiet
about this. So no, I didn't write what I did in the heat of the moment,
without thinking about it. I wrote what I did precisely because of what Rich
said both at the time and the moments following, and I think the quotes
amply show why I did so.

As for "honest folk" living under that kind of pressure - gee Iain, if it's
that bad for honest folk, think about how bad it must be for dishonest folk!