Re: [asa] Theology of AGW WAS The Climate Science Isn't Settled

From: Iain Strachan <igd.strachan@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Dec 02 2009 - 16:43:57 EST

> Except charges of corruption or worse are rife in this debate anyway, with
> far less evidence. Notice the pattern of accusing people who are skeptical
> of global warming of being "denialists" (let's see if that word pops up
> right on this list), in the service of businesses that are actively trying
> to obscure what they know is the truth, etc. That certainly doesn't mean the
> tone of these debates should not improve, or that two wrongs make a right,
> etc. But I will stress a point that seems to be quickly getting thrown down
> the memory hole here: The immediate response to these leaked emails by some
> people, including some people on this very list, was to label people as
> thieves and felons for discussing their contents or distributing them.

I'm very sorry to keep chipping in like this, but I really feel that this
last statement of yours about what people on the list have supposedly said
cannot go unchallenged.

I do not recall ANYONE on the list saying that someone who discussed the
contents of the emails or distributed them was a "thief or felon". If I am
wrong about this, then please point me to the email in question. All I
remember was that Keith Miller suggested strongly that it was unethical to
redistribute stolen private emails. That is not the same as calling folks
who discuss it "thieves and felons". Please explain how you got to that
statement. I'm willing to retract this if you can point me to the exact
email where this was said. If you can't then you should retract the
statement because it is maligning people on the list.

I also recall that I very strongly stated that the people who had STOLEN the
emails were criminals and I stand by that statement. Much has been
discussed about the Ninth Commandment and what it means - how one interprets
it; is the Westminster Confession correct etc. But not one mention has
been made of the fact that the availability of these emails has been because
someone broke the Eighth Commandment. Thou Shalt Not Steal.

I'm not accusing anyone on the list of stealing - but it is as clear as
anything that the emails were stolen. I seem to recall somewhere Jesus
saying something about a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. Yet with all the
crowing that is going on one might get the impression that the thieves
(whoever they were) are being hailed as heroes.

Now, for the moment, Schwarzwald, I am willing to believe that you wrote the
phrase "thieves and felons" in the heat of the moment, without thinking
about it. This is precisely the thing that got the CRU scientists into
trouble and got them accused of conspiracy etc.

As it happens, one of the women who attends my church home group works in
the Geography department at Oxford University in a section researching
Climate Change. She knows Phil Jones extremely well. The Communications
manager at their department has instilled into them the following: "Every
time you write an email imagine what it would look like on the front row of
the tabloid newspaper". It's appalling that honest folk have to live under
that kind of pressure.

Iain