Re: [asa] Ratcheting Concordism in Dennis Venema's talk at ASA meeting

From: Steve Martin <steven.dale.martin@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Dec 02 2009 - 15:48:13 EST

Doug,

Exactly my thoughts re: the original question & Bernie's answer. I
believe the point Dennis was making in his presentation was that an ANE
phenomenological hermeneutic allows one to abandon the ratchet completely.
(I wasn't there but in listening to the audio it seems like he was rushed
near the end and finished really quickly; he may not have discussed this as
much as he would have liked). Therefore although the historical /
scientific concordence of Gen 1-11 is possibly an interesting topic, it may
be something that is somewhat irrelevant to our faith. (eg. If Dick Fischers
tenacious search for the historical Adam comes up gold, well that's great &
very interesting - why discount the ancient's ability to pass down their
history orally? Maybe the biblical minimalists will need a ratchet of their
own going the other way :-) ). And in fact, what evangelical biblical
scholars are increasing claiming (eg. Walton's latest) is that looking for
any kind of concordence in early Gen might be doing a disservice to the high
view of scripture.

And on why this topic is irrelevant to broader Christian theology (ie. not a
process as Bernie suggests), is that there seem to be very, very good
theological, hermeneutic, and literary reasons NOT to demand concord for the
earliest chapters of Gen. But, for other areas of scripture, this is not
the case. The best example may be the four gospels which have all the
hallmarks of historical biography from that period (eg. Burridge - What are
the Gospels?) So we should expect pretty good historical concord for these
(at least the same level of concordence as typical biographical / historical
writing of that period).

thanks,

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 1:51 PM, Douglas Hayworth <becomingcreation@gmail.com

--