Re: [asa] Dawkins on the fossil record

From: Terry M. Gray <grayt@lamar.colostate.edu>
Date: Tue Dec 01 2009 - 17:19:38 EST

Gregory,

It's interesting that you find this so dramatic. But thank you for the commendation of bravery. This is what I have always said even in my most fervent defenses of biological evolution. That being said, I'm not sure that such a view is even inconsistent with polygenism (ala Derek Kidner).

But I find it odd that you're so universally critical of other believers on this point--the mere belief in a transcendent God or in the Incarnation or in the Holy Spirit or in innumerable other things that are at the core of the Christian faith make it impossible for a Christian to be a Naturalist in the sense that Richard Dawkins is a Naturalist. Hardly any of us here are in that camp at all--otherwise we wouldn't even be interested in the ASA. Of course Dawkins would call me names (although as he says in the preface of the book, "been there done that")--we disagree on the most fundamental issue.

You draw the lines in the strangest of places.

TG