RE: [asa] Friend of the ASA?

From: Ted Davis <TDavis@messiah.edu>
Date: Tue Dec 01 2009 - 15:49:02 EST

Bernie,

In our opinion, some of the comments below are not consistent with the
purpose of a list sponsored by the ASA. I am not talking about the
expression of opinions--ASA rarely gets involved with endorsing specific
opinions on most matters related to science and Christian faith. I am
talking about the agenda you are interested in advancing, which does not
reflect the attitude(s) of an open-minded inquirer who wishes to be a
"friend" of the ASA. I shouldn't have to pick out the specific statements
(below) in which you do this.

In our opinion, Bernie, this constitutes an aggressive advocacy of atheism
which is not part of the mission of this list. If you do not stop these kind
of comments immediately and permanently, we’ll put you on read-only.

As for being a "friend" of ASA, I realize that the ASA has a formal
category for people who want to receive PSCF but who are unable or unwilling
to affirm our faith statement. I realize that is what you meant, and we
aren't suggesting that you ought to be removed from that category if you
continue to pay for a subscription. My reference to this above was meant to
be ironic. I fail to see how a genuine "friend" of the ASA would want to
"evangelize Christians to atheism." This list is absolutely not for any
such purpose, and what you wish to say along those lines will have to be
stated somewhere else.

Ted (ASA president)

>>> "Dehler, Bernie" <bernie.dehler@intel.com> 12/1/2009 3:17 PM >>>
Ryan-

One doesn't have to be a member (or friend) of the ASA to post on this
discussion board. If I violated a posting rule, please cite the specific
rule and my comment which violated it. That is in reference to your
comments below. (I was already warned about the political comment and
agreed to abide by that rule. I'm sorry I bad-mouthed Palin and people who
think she's something significant in the political arena.)

...Bernie
(Friend of the ASA)