Re: [asa] Dawkins on the fossil record

From: Keith Miller <keithbmill@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Dec 01 2009 - 15:33:42 EST

Terry wrote:

I'm making my way through Richard Dawkins', "The Greatest Show on Earth".
> There's a bit of anti-YEC rhetoric--he calls them history deniers (I'm not
> so sure that YEC's themselves would reject his label). But aside from that,
> so far, it's a thoroughly enjoyable read and in my opinion an excellent
> presentation of the arguments for evolution.
>
> Here's a section from Chapter 6 "Missing Link? What Do You Mean, 'Missing'?

In general, I agree that the sequence of fossils preserved (and so far
discovered and described) in the rock record are a powerful argument for
common descent. Dawkins claim that -- "Yes, there are gaps, where there are
no fossils at all, and that is only to be expected. But not a single
solitary fossil has ever been found before it could have evolved" is also I
think a valid one. For me the general patterns observed in the fossil
record are very strong evidence for common descent. I am frustrated when
the fossil record is often portrayed as the weak link in evidence for common
descent.

It is such a shame that Dawkins cannot resist interjecting his evangelical
atheism into his public presentation of science. He could otherwise be a
great and effective popularizer of science -- instead he has become one of
the greatest causes for the public rejection of evolutionary science.

Keith