Re: [asa] Ratcheting Concordism in Dennis Venema's talk at ASA meeting

From: Dennis Venema <Dennis.Venema@twu.ca>
Date: Tue Dec 01 2009 - 13:27:02 EST

What I intended by the term was to describe someone who is (a) open to scientific evidence, and (b) has scientific concordist expectations of Genesis 1-3. As evidence accumulates against a concordist notion he holds, he will at first resist the science, until the evidence is overwhelming, at which he "gives up" on that notion and ratchets over to the next position.

For example: an OEC contemplating common descent: should they decide to accept CD, there are two choices:

(a) discard their scientific concordist expectations of Genesis and shift to an interpretation of Genesis using ANE science / Divine accommodation
(b) ratchet over to accepting CD, but retain concordist expectations that Adam and Eve are literal individuals who are the genetic ancestors of the entire human race, pending evidence from genomics that suggests otherwise.

Ratcheting concordists are easy to spot - they have theological investments in specific scientific interpretations of Genesis. For example, I met a few ASAers at Baylor who accepted CD, but were struggling to work the population genetics data into their scheme. They were evolutionary monogenists - they accept CD, but feel that God founded the whole human race through a literal pair. Why? "Because it says so in Genesis."

Hopefully that explains my thinking. Just remember IANAT (I am not a theologian). :)

Dennis