Re: [asa] Ratcheting Concordism in Dennis Venema's talk at ASA meeting

From: <>
Date: Tue Dec 01 2009 - 12:43:42 EST

Okay --"ratcheting concordism" -- my interest is piqued. Any chance of a quick
synopsis? Even on our cable modem here at school it took me a few minutes to
get the downloaded slides. And those only show the tantalizing points being
discussed, not the discussion itself. The actual video/audio is going to take
longer to download than I have right now. But I'd still love a sentence or two
explanation if available.

Quoting Dennis Venema <>:

> Hi Steve,
> thanks for sending this direct - I do tend to be pretty hit-and-miss here.
> The term is one I coined - to describe what I see as a phenomenon in
> scientific concordist approaches to Scripture.
> Dennis
> On 01/12/09 5:40 AM, "Steve Martin" <> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I was interested in Dennis Venema's term "Ratcheting Concordism" at the ASA
> meeting. (see presentation slides here
> <> &
> audio here <> ... his brief
> mention of ratcheting concordism occurs around 36:00 min time).
> Dennis describes ratcheting concordism as a scriptural concordist strategy
> that, when in the face of overwhelming evidence, will ratchet over one
> position and lock in there (until the next batch of evidence comes along).
> Now, I know Dennis isn't a theologian but I'm intrigued by that term ... & I
> think it is helpful (not like I'm showing my cards here :-) ). I'm wondering
> a) if this is a new term and b) if others think this is helpful. I would
> especially be interested in hearing comments from those who believe that some
> historical and/or scientific concordism is important &/or essential for
> interpreting Gen 1-11 if we are to hold a high view of scripture.
> cc'ing Dennis too ... not sure if you are as hit-and-miss on this list as I
> am.

To unsubscribe, send a message to with