[asa] Ratcheting Concordism in Dennis Venema's talk at ASA meeting

From: Steve Martin <steven.dale.martin@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Dec 01 2009 - 08:40:41 EST

Hi all,

I was interested in Dennis Venema's term "Ratcheting Concordism" at the ASA
meeting. (see presentation slides
here<http://www.asa3.org/ASA/meetings/baylor2009/papers/ASA2009Venema.pdf>&
audio
here <http://www.asa3.org/ASAradio/ASA2009Venema.mp3> ... his brief mention
of ratcheting concordism occurs around 36:00 min time).

Dennis describes ratcheting concordism as a scriptural concordist strategy
that, when in the face of overwhelming evidence, will ratchet over one
position and lock in there (until the next batch of evidence comes along).

Now, I know Dennis isn't a theologian but I'm intrigued by that term ... & I
think it is helpful (not like I'm showing my cards here :-) ). I'm
wondering a) if this is a new term and b) if others think this is helpful.
I would especially be interested in hearing comments from those who believe
that some historical and/or scientific concordism is important &/or
essential for interpreting Gen 1-11 if we are to hold a high view of
scripture.

cc'ing Dennis too ... not sure if you are as hit-and-miss on this list as I
am.

--
Steve Martin (CSCA)