Re: [asa] Re: On the Barr-West exchange and ID/TE

From: Rich Blinne <>
Date: Tue Nov 17 2009 - 17:54:14 EST

> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 12:23 PM, Cameron Wybrow <>wrote:
>> Another amusing moment comes from the way Rich slips in as a "theological
>> reason" for TE that "the hidden will of God" is not accessible through
>> nature, without acknowledging the Protestant bias in such "theological
>> reasons". Political anti-Catholicism may no longer be fashionable in
>> America, but among TEs unconscious prejudice against Catholic theology
>> lingers on, and on, and on. Ever heard of Thomas Aquinas, Richard?

Yeah, those wiley Protestant TEs like St. John of Damascus, the last of the
Greek Fathers, who said in the *De Fide Orthodoxa* that God could not be
demonstrated to exist because we can only know what God's essense does *not*
consist of. How do I know this? Because Thomas quotes him while arguing for
the *Quinque Viae *in the *Summa Theologica. *Also note just because I might
deny one of five, I don't necessarily deny all of five. Another clue about
where I'm coming from. I'm kind of fond of St. Anselm in his
*Proslogion *although
I believe Jonathan Edwards did improve on him in *On Being*.

Rich Blinne
Member ASA

P.S. I think I hit my posting limit so this will be my last post today.

To unsubscribe, send a message to with