Re: [asa] Endosymbiosis

From: David Campbell <>
Date: Mon Nov 02 2009 - 08:13:31 EST

It's fairly generally recognized within standard evolutionary biology
that cooperation or competition (or finding a way to avoid everyone
else) can be successful. I think it's also fairly well recognized
that some things show a more gradual pattern of change and some show a
more punctuated pattern.

Cooperative symbiosis is indeed an idea from Margoulis that has really
taken off; however, she very likely overdid it. She was the person
behind getting the "caterpillars are onychophoran-insect hybrids"
paper published in PNAS, a rather far-fetched model (though we'd need
an onychophoran genome to absolutely refute it).

Dr. David Campbell
425 Scientific Collections
University of Alabama
To unsubscribe, send a message to with