Re: [asa] RE: TE and apologetics

From: Bill Powers <wjp@swcp.com>
Date: Fri Sep 18 2009 - 09:00:46 EDT

I suggest that, historically at least, the motivation for the slippery
slope is associated with episteomology. When the warrant for belief is
positivistic, the slope towards a type of scientism is established. In
other words, when and if science (natural knowledge) becomes the
standards by which belief is justified, Fosdick's views and the like
will be inevitable. This view is exemplified in Weinberg's statement
that religion is the belief in faries.

IMO, we (meaning modern man) are not far from this view. Of course, this
is not the only threat to the Gospel. Post-modernism undermines this
slide toward scientism, but undermines Theism by its polytheistic
commitment, which is by far the more ancient threat. What this
demonstrates is the monotheistic foundation of science, and the threat
of any and all monotheisms, e.g., Marxism.

Can we say that 'accepting evolution' is strictly the (a) problem? No, I
suppose we can never say such things. It is likely not sufficient,
although it is likely necessary for the kind of slide into scientism.

The question would be for the Christian who wishes to prevent this slide
is how does one maintain a proper respect for science without it becoming
the warrant and justification for all belief?

bill