Re: [asa] Was Jesus wrong? (Resist evil?)

From: Jim Armstrong <jarmstro@qwest.net>
Date: Tue Jun 30 2009 - 20:27:36 EDT
I am reminded of a kernel of wisdom that says essentially that the reason for studying the rules diligently is to know when they need to be broken. As outlined, Jesus' teachings seem to be appropriate within a very thick tier of living that lies above the more base conduct of men. But Jesus died in engagement with the latter, and it may be said that he anticipated and perhaps even provoked this engagement. Perhaps part of the appropriate counsel lies in the Caesar/God discriminator he offered, wherein civil government is expected (and blessed?) to do whatever is necessary to maintain civil society. I would think that the turn-the-other-cheek matter deals with matters of principle, which may be preempted by a higher principle, like self defense - unless a conscious choice has been made to subordinate even ones life to a principle. The unhappy situation is that there will always be difficulty with determination and consensus at the boundaries. We would prefer sharply defined edges, but I guess that's not our lot in a world with shades of gray and diverse perspectives. That's why wisdom is sought and valued (and necessary - as with the raising of children) at the points where rules fail.

JimA [Friend of ASA]

Dehler, Bernie wrote:
The question really stemmed from what to tell my kids about how to handle themselves on the playground.  I first tried the advice from Jesus and now I don't.  Jesus' advice doesn't seem to work for bullies who are in your face.  I think it is better to stand-up for yourself instead of turning the other cheek.  I had to come to peace with giving my kids the opposite advice of what Christ said to do.

Also- regarding Hitler, I think it is reasonable and best to kill Hitler if we had the chance.  This seems also to be against Jesus' advice.

In defense of the Bible (and Jesus), I think it could be said that this is a real terse passage and probably shouldn't be used for every situation (kid's on the playground, Hitler, etc.).  It isn't exactly a treatise on the subject on how to deal with trouble-makers... after all, it is only a few sentences.

...Bernie