Re: [asa] Cameron- question of Adam (from George on DNA)

From: David Campbell <pleuronaia@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Jun 30 2009 - 14:53:07 EDT

Gosse seems like he would have said that the DNA was created with the
appearance of having evolved. A similar position is promoted from
time to time by YECs, but the standard YEC claim is that things appear
young and unevolved; apparent age being occasionally appealed to as a
way out of a difficulty rather than consistently applied across the
board. Nevertheless, many YECs like to invoke things such as the wine
at the wedding at Cana as something created recently with appearance
of greater age.

The claim that God created the universe (or at least life on earth)
about 6-10,000 years ago but with full appearance of history
(including evolution) so that we could better study science is a
position that is fully compatible with any and all physical evidence
of great age. It raises theological problems and is based on dubious
exegesis, but it is potentially a useful option to point out to YECs.
Note that this position is not compatible with the claims of standard
YEC that things look young.

The fact that relativity indicates that there is not one single value
for elapsed time might be another way to ease difficulties for a YEC,
though the contrived and not consistently accurate concordism of
Gerald Schroeder along this line is not especially helpful.

--
Dr. David Campbell
425 Scientific Collections