Re: [asa] poythress

From: gordon brown <Gordon.Brown@Colorado.EDU>
Date: Mon Jun 29 2009 - 22:49:06 EDT

Since I haven't read his book, I won't comment on it, but I would like to
comment on the author. He is a mathematician who became a theologian. He
has a Ph.D. in mathematics from Harvard. Vern Poythress was a Putnam
Fellow while a sophomore at Caltech, i.e. he finished among the top five
scorers in the William Lowell Putnam Mathematical Competition, the premier
mathematical competition for undergraduates in the United States and
Canada. The list of Putnam Fellows over the years contains some familiar
names. In addition to a number of well known mathematicians it also
includes Nobel-Prize-winning physicists Richard Feynman and Kenneth
Wilson.

Gordon Brown (ASA member)