Re: [asa] poythress

From: Merv Bitikofer <mrb22667@kansas.net>
Date: Mon Jun 29 2009 - 20:04:57 EDT

My impressions have been pretty parallel to yours here ---except that in
my last email I tried to just dwell more on the positive. I too thought
he often began a confusing dance of words on some issue where I just
wanted to know where he stood (I'm sure I could be accused of the same
in lots of my rambling writings.)

Regarding his last chapters, I'm simply fascinated with with the subject
matter, being a physics and math teacher myself. His connection of that
to theology does seem non-existent other than to state that he sees it
all from a creationist perspective ---which I have no problem with,
though his insistence that ALL scientists must be creationist in the
sense of not being able to acknowledge regularity without secretly
importing a creator to their world-view --that is much more provocative
wording than I think is justified or accurate regarding non-Christian
scientists today. But his willingness to keep options open with
humility needed for science AND on the side of theologians --that is a
HUGELY wonderful thing to read from somebody who has an obviously high
and conservative view of Scripture. A lot of Christians would benefit
by absorbing his exhortations. Atheists would laugh it to scorn, but
that's okay. I don't think this book is primarily for them.

--Merv