Re: [asa] poythress

From: Paul Bruggink <paul.bruggink1@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Jun 29 2009 - 17:18:49 EDT

For whatever it's worth, here is my Amazon review of Vern Poythress'
book "Redeeming Science:"

Vern Poythress's book on the Bible and science is more philosophical
and wishy-washy than most popular books on the subject, and the
philosophical portions seem more wordy than necessary. He tries too
hard to draw analogies between physical laws and the character of God
(p. 307, etc.). It was not clear what his chapter on "A Christian
Approach to Mathematics" addded to the debate.

Poythress indicates a preference for analogical days and a local
flood, although he is symphetic to the Young Earth Creationism and
Intelligent Design positions. He keeps saying, "We can't know for
certain." In support of Intelligent Design, he cites the irreducible
complexity of the bacterial flagellum, which was refuted by, among
others, Kenneth Miller in Dembski & Ruse's "Debating Design," which
was published two years earlier.

In spite of the above comments, the book does have a number of good
insights, an extensive bibliography, subject index and scripture
index, and the footnotes are at the bottom of the page on which they
occur, which ought to be mandated in book publishing.

Paul Bruggink