RE: [asa] Cameron- question of Adam (from George on DNA)

From: Dehler, Bernie <bernie.dehler@intel.com>
Date: Mon Jun 29 2009 - 16:38:46 EDT

Hi George-

When it comes to Adam, then "apparent age" is a necessity. Obviously Adam would appear adult, passing stages of infancy, puberty, etc.

However, when it comes to DNA, I see no YEC need for "apparent age." I've always heard the YEC argument that things look similar because the product is similar... a sort of design re-use.

I want to give YEC's all the respect I can, so it wouldn't be fair to say they would say things that they wouldn't, and my concern is that you did that by saying they would claim "appearance of age" for DNA evidence (pseudogenes and fused chromosome #2).

"Whether or not any YEC has actually applied that argument to the specific case of evolution of human DNA is beside the point."

It isn't beside the point at all, because if they don't claim it, you may have built a strawman, and that wouldn't be fair. Nobody wants to be caricaturized or falsely positioned.

"It would be simple enough for you just to say that you misunderstood the point I was making..."

I'm still not clear on your point about proving/disproving heliocentricity. Can geocentricty be disproved by science? (By geocentricity I specifically mean the idea that the universe revolves around the Earth). So far, I'm picking up that you think it can't be disproven (because of general relativity)- and if so- I'd like to challenge that. It is an interesting scientific question with lots of valuable applications as a parable for other things, I think.

I hope you know I disagree in order to learn more... I'm not trying to be a pain.

...Bernie