Re: [asa] Results of Cameron's Survey

From: David Clounch <david.clounch@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Jun 29 2009 - 12:33:09 EDT

 George wrote:

"but is a statement that position-momentum pairs that violate it don't
exist. "

Q1.
George, my question is (because I don't know the rules) is this true for
virtual particles as well?
The reason I ask is it seems to me virtual particles exist ontologically
but not in a way we could ever observe.

[an aside]
My son was telling me about muon decay and how it produces a number of
virtual particles, and there are always a neutrino/anti-neutrino virtual
pair produced, but these almost always destroy each other. But about every
millionth time they don't and the neutrino exits. And these neutrinos are
always left-handed. He was trying to tell me about the fact that all
neutrinos are left handed but there is no law or rule of nature as to why it
should be that way - that nobody knows why. My point is there are at least
10^6 virtual pairs for every real neutrino.
[end aside]

Obviously scientists believe in virtual particles. But, if we can never
observe them, are they really there? Aren't they beyond the edge of MN?
aren't they just something we pretend are there so we can get a logical
reason for things we are able to see (the observed products).

I agree with your statement as applied to real particles. Its not just about
limits of knowledge, but is a real statement about existence. I'm just
wondering if the same QM rules apply to virtual particles.

Q2.
If virtual particles are just a game and don't have ontological existence,
then under the rules of MN aren't they really in the same category as
other beyond the (playground) edge topics (like ID is alleged to be)? If
the answer is yes, then are teachers allowed to discuss these areas where
God plays dice?