[asa] poythress

From: Merv Bitikofer <mrb22667@kansas.net>
Date: Mon Jun 29 2009 - 00:28:52 EDT

Somebody at my school put a copy of "Redeeming Science" by Vern
Poythress (2006) (Westminster Theological Seminary) in my box. And I'm
within a few chapters of the end of it and have been fairly challenged
and impressed, even though I would wish to engage the author on some
differences, particularly over his (IMO) weak conception of MN.
(Gregory and others here would be proud of him since he pretty much
almost dismisses MN as PN with a thin veneer due to fatal abuse, I guess.)

He seems to prefer (thought not dogmatically exclusively) an "analogical
day" approach to Genesis 1, and he seems thoroughly committed to a
literal Adam and Eve. He does an excellent job of gently diffusing some
of our cultural stubbornness against allowing for both Divine action and
secondary causation as coexisting in a healthy theology.

At the risk of not having yet read the final chapters, I would already
apply this to somebody's earlier quest on books to recommend to YECs or
anybody else interested in science/theology issues, for that matter.
(Frustratingly to some I imagine, Poythress refuses to shut the door on
young-earth possibilities, but perhaps that makes his book all the more
accessible to the wider theological audience. He doesn't slam it on
TEists either.)

--Merv