Re: [asa] observational vs. theoretical differences in scenarios; a direct question

From: Terry M. Gray <grayt@lamar.colostate.edu>
Date: Sun Jun 28 2009 - 23:41:16 EDT

Cameron,

At the risk of falling into the category of learned evasion, I will
offer the following.

Of the three choices that you have given, #3 is the only view I would
even come close to accepting. #1 seems atheistic, #2, as I've said
before, seems to border on deism. However, I don't like #3, and I
think that you have not delineated all the possible choices. Thus,
it's not a fair question. Hence, I would like to offer a #4 that I
think many on the list here will endorse. I suspect David Campbell
will like my #4 much more than your #1 or your #3. I really can't
imagine him endorsing #1 as you suggest. (Ditto for Collins and
Lamoureux.)

Using your wording:

4. God steered the alterations of the genomes of reptiles until they
became mammals in a way that is indistinguishable from it occurring
via purely stochastic processes.

I object to the phrase *what it otherwise would never have produced*.
(In my view nature doesn't produce anything apart from God's guiding
hand.)
I believe that all stochastic and deterministic processes are guided
by God. (Thus, your #1 is not possible).
I am not in the slightest degree embarrassed to use the word
"guidance". (However, such guidance may not be detectable or
distinguishable from stochastic processes.)
#1 and #4 are identical with respect to the scientific descriptions--
hence the reason many of us have no problem with "Darwinian
processes". And hence why many of us think the issue IS metaphysical.
The only difference is what is "meta" to the describable process--
God's action or an autonomous nature.

My apologies for the hiatus in our previous discussion, but we seem to
be at the same impasse. You can't seem to imagine a guided process
that looks like a stochastic process. I continue to argue that there
is no such thing as a stochastic process from God's perspective.
Obviously, there are stochastic processes from the creature's
perspective. Just because we arrive at an explanation for something
(chance, necessity, free agency), doesn't mean that God's not involved
(and by involved I mean more than "just" in the sustaining the laws of
nature sort of way--I mean purposeful governance).

TG