Re: [asa] observational vs. theoretical differences in scenarios; a direct question

From: Schwarzwald <schwarzwald@gmail.com>
Date: Sun Jun 28 2009 - 19:37:40 EDT

Heya Cameron,

Unfortunately, I'd have to answer "#2 or #3", since I have no hard and
decisive views either way, other than #1 is a tremendously weak position to
be in - and on the surface, it seems that elements of #2 and #3 could both
occur at once. As Mike Gene once said [A rough paraphrase, and perhaps my
spin on it, follows] "Teleology can endure an awful lot of chance, apparent
or actual. Ateleology can hardly suffer a drop of guidance." I won't get
into my rationales or nitpicking about some of what you've said here,
though, since it's clear you're after outright answers alone.