Re: [asa] The term Darwinism

From: Schwarzwald <schwarzwald@gmail.com>
Date: Sun Jun 28 2009 - 00:24:19 EDT

For the record, I think the recent exchanges between Stephen Barr and John
West on this subject highlight some of the problem with discussing this.
John West's argument with Barr seems to be that he's certain Darwinism means
unguided evolution - Barr's reply is that this isn't necessarily true (I
think what Barr says he believes is God's relation to evolution rules out
any suggestion that the man is being wishy-washy on guidance - he takes a
harder view of it than most DI people do, I'd think). So Barr insists that
he accepts Darwinism, but takes Darwinism to be neutral on questions of
guidance or direction - I think he'd insist science is incapable of ruling
on such things. West's reply is that either Barr rejects Darwinism (because
he believes in guidance) or he's rejecting guidance (because he believes in
Darwinism).

Anyway, for those interested in further reading:
http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/firstthoughts/ is the First Things blog
where Stephen Barr and others (Francis Beckwith's contribution in particular
stands out to me) are discussing this. John West's posts on this subject
are at http://www.evolutionnews.org/ (both exchanges are multipart, else I'd
just link directly).

The impression I get from these exchanges (and I'm glad they take place)
that ID proponents want those sympathetic with them to reject Darwinism
publically, on the grounds that they think Darwinism is essentially tied to
a belief that evolution is unguided and undirected. Meanwhile, TEs (or
perhaps theistic ID opponents) many times think questions of guidance can be
divorced from Darwinism, and what remains is still Darwinism - therefore
they can 'believe in Darwinism' while still believing evolution is guided.
I'm sure there's also the view that, even if they were to explicitly reject
Darwinism solely on the grounds that they believe Darwinism cannot be
divorced from a metaphysical claim about evolution being unguided, doing so
would merely complicate matters. After all, to this day I see Behe written
off as a YEC and evolution-denier, despite his position being vastly more
nuanced.