RE: [asa] The term Darwinism

From: Dehler, Bernie <bernie.dehler@intel.com>
Date: Thu Jun 25 2009 - 17:39:19 EDT

" Newtonianism? Copernicanism, Ptolemaic,"

Aren't those terms all referring to historical ideas, whereas "Darwinism" is an attempt to make it sound like people today are following the Darwin of over 100 years ago? Come on, the theory of evolution has progressed so much since Darwin. Darwin is simply a father- a guy who got the ball rolling. Science is changing/updating so quickly... who could be a "Darwinist" today? "Evolutionist," yes. "Darwinist," no.

I am an evolutionist, because I accept evolution. I don't follow Darwin, but I do appreciate him. I more closely follow people like Ken Miller, Francis Collins, Denis Lamoureux, George Murphy, etc.

I think a better description than "Darwinist" would be "Dawkinist." But Dawkins probably can't call himself that- just like Darwin probably couldn't call himself a Darwinist. If Darwin was a Darwinist, then Dawkins should be a Dawkinist.

...Bernie