Re: [asa] Darwin's belief (was: Cameron- question of Adam)

From: Cameron Wybrow <wybrowc@sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu Jun 25 2009 - 13:14:54 EDT

Gregory (with an aside to Ted):

I agree with you (and Ted) that I represent a "minority view" among ID proponents. As I see it, ID proponents are of three types:

1. ID is a theory of origins, competing with Darwinism.
2. ID is an a-historical theory of design detection, and competes with Darwinism only on the question of chance versus design, not on the question of the detailed mechanisms by which species have evolved, and it has nothing to say about how, when, where, by whom, etc. design became embodied in living forms.
3. ID is a murky in-between (i.e., in between positions 1 and 2).

I think that the frustration expressed by Ted Davis is quite justified, i.e., a few oddballs like myself insist that the intellectually valuable core of ID is limited to #2 (design detection, refutation of chance, etc.), whereas the public image of ID is more like a blurry blending of design-detection-as-science and creation-versus-evolution-as-theory-of-origins. Ted wants to ask, as someone used to ask on a TV game show, "Will the real ID please stand up?"

I think that the blurriness is perhaps in some cases cultivated, but I think in other cases it is because ID is in the process of redefining itself. Many of its founders clearly had a historical conception of origins in mind, and many still do; many of its Church supporters do as well. Yet both within the ID movement in the narrow sense of the original group (e.g., Behe) and outside of it (e.g., people like Sternberg), we find less interest in the historical question than in the mathematical and formal questions. And among many of the agnostic, "techie" types who have embraced ID in blog posts and so on, there is much less interest in trying to harmonize design with Biblical stories, and much more interest in uncovering the hidden plan of organic life.

Of course, the purely a-historical interest in design can, if one is interested in the historical question, be integrated into a historical account, e.g., Denton's naturalistic account, or Thomas Aquinas's non-naturalistic account, or Calvin's non-naturalistic account. But design need not be integrated into such historical accounts. It can be, for example, integrated into a non-historical account of an eternal universe, as in Aristotle. Or design can be studied for its own sake, as a way of thinking God's thoughts after him. I think that all of these approaches are legitimate stances for an ID proponent to take.

Congratulations on passing your pre-defence.

Cameron.