Re: [asa] Exaptation

From: Nucacids <nucacids@wowway.com>
Date: Thu Jun 25 2009 - 01:28:11 EDT

Hi David,

"Exaptation, and evolution more generally, tends to have a more
jury-rigged look to it than would be ideal for ID-type inferences.
I.e., whatever was handy was put to use."

This is an appeal to what I call the Criterion of Rationality, as "look
like" arguments have a place at the table.
We need only score this appearance to advance the ball.

"Of course, this does not
rule out lower-case design, especially if the designer favored using
natural laws, but it does not fit with the attempt to claim scientific
proof of ID."

Agreed. To me it makes most sense to think of the designer exploiting
naturals laws than fighting against them and, of course, there is no
"scientific proof" here. But there is plenty of room between vacuous
nonsense and scientific proof.

BTW, I outline a successful prediction of front-loading here:

http://designmatrix.wordpress.com/2009/06/25/front-loading-with-ribosomes/

Mike