Re: [asa] Cameron- question of Adam

From: Dave Wallace <wmdavid.wallace@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jun 24 2009 - 16:55:09 EDT
Don said:

As I've pointed out N times already on this list, any "evidence for evolution" from DNA would be mere curiosity if (1) there were no fossil evidence of systematic changes in life forms with time and (2) there were no evidence that Earth is old.

I'm just reading Richard Dawkins "The Ancestor's Tale".  In the General Prolog (page 13 my paperback edition) he claims that even without all of the fossil evidence that evolution would still be demonstrated at least for sane people.

"If every fossil were magicked away, the comparative study of modern organisms, of how their patterns of resemblances,  especially of  their genetic sequences, are distributed among species, and of how species are distributed among continents and islands, would still demonstrate beyond all sane doubt, that our history is evolutionary and that all living species are cousins.  Fossils are a bonus.  A welcome bonus to be sure but not an essential one."

As a descendant of Scots, I would say "Maybe, but I'ha me doubts".

Dave W
To unsubscribe, send a message to majordomo@calvin.edu with "unsubscribe asa" (no quotes) as the body of the message. Received on Wed Jun 24 17:00:32 2009