Re: [asa] Exaptation

From: Cameron Wybrow <wybrowc@sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue Jun 23 2009 - 12:04:55 EDT

Bill and Randy:

I think these considerations regarding incrementalism are important. Of
course you both already know that even within the broadly Darwinian camp,
Gould had pointed out that the fossil record did not comport with Darwinian
gradualism. Michael Denton, in his first book, *Evolution: A Theory in
Crisis*, confirmed Gould's observations with reference to biochemistry,
pointing out that not only morphologically, but even with regard to certain
important proteins, the animal kingdom was characterized by gappiness and
clusters rather than gradualism and continuity, as classical neo-Darwinism
would predict.

I think that in Denton's second book, *Nature's Destiny* (which is not a
repudiation of the first book, as some suppose, but rather an attempt to go
beyond it), he suggests exactly what Bill is suggesting below, i.e., that
major changes in the phenotype could be built up by gradual changes in the
genotype. This would preserve Darwinian gradualism at the genetic level,
while explaining the discrepant phenomena observed by Gould, Denton and
others at the morphological and other levels. So Darwin would be both right
and wrong; right, in insisting upon gradualism, but wrong, in expecting that
all the gradual change would show up morphologically and be selected for.
Thus, Bill's remark about not necessarily being able to find transitional
species on the morphological level is quite a propos.

I see some problems with Denton's solution. He supposes (contra Darwin)
that most of the genetic changes aren't immediately expressed
morphologically or in any other way, but are "saved up", and then, when a
certain cluster of changes "makes sense", the whole cluster is expressed.
So genetic changes might accumulate over a million years, and then a new
creature might appear which would be quite different from its parents. It
would perhaps (though Denton doesn't say this; I'm just trying to make sense
of what he does say) look like a "hopeful monster" to the outsider, maybe, I
don't know, a bat born to a rodent mother (I'm making this example up;
Denton doesn't give any). But to the genetic observer over the
million-year-period, only gradualism would ever be seen: "random" looking
mutations. I have two tentative objections to this view: (a) how much
different could the offspring be from the parent, and survive? Particularly
in the case of mammals, who require maternal care after birth? Could a
bat-like creature, for example, still nurse from its rodent mother? Would
the milk, the nipples, etc. be compatible? More important, might the mother
not instinctively reject the freak child and refuse to nurse it? And even
in the case of reptiles, the mother crocodile carries around her tiny young
for a period in her mouth, to keep them safe; would she do so for some
(again, just a tentative example) some freak offspring that was hairy like a
mammal? (b) How does the genome know not to express the minor gradual
changes until they are all assembled? Why wouldn't it express each genetic
change right away? What internal mechanism "holds back" certain changes
from being expressed? Is there a timing mechanism of some kind? How would
it work? For Denton's theory to be correct, the operation of DNA must have
layers of sophistication that we have not yet fathomed. Of course that is
exactly his thesis, that the DNA is just part of the cosmic computer
program, so to speak, which was written before Creation and is meant to
"output" man. The question is, how do we go about confirming this
teleological aspect of the operation of DNA? Isn't such a view, while not
contradicted by the facts, at this point extremely speculative, and very
problematic?

Hopefully Denton will address this question in his third book, which is due
out later this year.

Cameron.