Re: [asa] Cameron- question of Adam

From: George Murphy <GMURPHY10@neo.rr.com>
Date: Mon Jun 22 2009 - 15:09:22 EDT

Cameron is right on the basic point here: The "apparent age" argument - of
which appropriate fabrication of human DNA would be a special case - cannot
be refuted scientifically or, for that matter, philosophically. Among
philosophers of science this goes by the name "Russell's Paradox."
(Bertrand Russell, who pointed it out, obviously was not trying to defend
the historicity of Genesis!) One discussion of it is Malcolm Acock, "The
Age of the Universe", Philosophy of Science 50, 1983, 130. The argument
against apparent age has to be basically theological, & I think can be made
pretty strongly.

Shalom
George