Re: [asa] The Patient Creator - addendum

From: George Murphy <GMURPHY10@neo.rr.com>
Date: Mon Jun 22 2009 - 07:45:50 EDT

Gregory -

After replying to you last night I realized that I forgot your question about trinitarian aspects. (Maybe the result of getting up at 3 a.m. & a cross-country flight.) In brief, the idea that the Incarnation & its consequences is God's "plan" for creation (as in Eph.1:10) should indeed be expressed in a fully trinitarian way. Although only one Person of the Trinity became incarnate, the whole Trinity is involved. In particular, Mary conceived the Word because "the Holy Spirit will come upon you" (Lk.1:35) & Jesus' ministry was in the power of the Spirit. (Lk.4 on his testing & beginning of his ministry emphasizes this.) You may say that western theologies have tended to downplay or ignore the role of the Spirit here & I agree that historically that's been the case. But it is beginning to change.)

Shalom
George