Re: Re: [asa] Good questions to ask YECs

From: gordon brown <Gordon.Brown@Colorado.EDU>
Date: Thu Jun 18 2009 - 17:22:54 EDT

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009, Paul.Bruggink1@gmail.com wrote:

> > Did God's Creation Week begin at sunset on Saturday evening?
> >
> > > Gordon Brown (ASA member)
> >
> Gordon,
>
> I'm afraid you'll have to explain that question to me. I don't get the
> significance of it, nor do I understand how it would help in a dialogue with
> a YEC?
>
> Paul Bruggink

Paul,

I think that the YEC position is that the Creation Week of Genesis 1:1 to
2:3 must have been a week just like every other week, which to the Hebrews
began and ended at sunset on Saturday. At least, if they claim to be
literalists, that ought to be their conclusion. However before there were
a sun and an earth and a designated set of coordinates for the observer
sunset would have been meaningless.

This is just another way of bringing up the classical question (raised
e.g. by Augustine) about solar days as being instituted on the fourth day
of creation.

It raises a question about the internal consistency of strictly literal
interpretation of everything in the first chapter.

Gordon Brown (ASA member)