Re: [asa] The Patient Creator

From: Jim Armstrong <jarmstro@qwest.net>
Date: Thu Jun 18 2009 - 11:46:50 EDT
I think extraordinarily improbable events DO take place every day. At the very least, any particular chain of events we might examine in detail would likely be unlikely due to the chain or possible alternative branches for all the events in the chain.

If we ponder the probability of a cosmic ray striking a genetic structure in such a way as to cause a mutation, another ingredient (principle?) in Creation comes into play, something I think of as "strength through weakness". In the context of this discussion, I refer to the robustness of the whole DNA et al process, which nonetheless contains a certain "weakness", a certain susceptibility to modification that allows mutation and evolution to occur. It is also manifest in the strength of granite, which is at the same time susceptible over time and circumstance to erosion. This strength though weakness ingredient is a powerful subtlety, and I take that as a reflection of creative genius, if you will.

I would just ask, what do you think is the reason for the immensity of the university, and the extent of time?

It seems that the simplest answer is that it immeasurably increases the probability of the improbable occurring. Perhaps more correctly, the statement is that both would vastly enhance the possibilities for varied unlikely contingent events.

There is something appealing about this also in light of the unlikelihoods manifest in many key Biblical characters, and particularly those that Jesus found to fellowship with, teach, and trust to [in time!] become stewards of his message(s).

JimA [Friend of ASA]

David Clounch wrote:
Jim,

I think I agree with you.
On "...the natural origins of  things which have  low probability of existence."

Well,  I simply don't believe in the existence of things  which have too low a probability. (I dont mean ontological existence...just  instantiation).  And this is perfectly reasonable because engineers make that choice every day in their profession.

So, for Ken Miller to make an argument about his aboriginal tie-clip pre-cursor, he would merely have to show there is a reasonable probability for the natural production of the pre-cursor.  To me that is the essence of a rational argument from him.  Sadly, I don't hear that actually  being presented.  Instead it seems we are being asked to believe that extraordinarily improbable events take place every day with regularity. And somehow we mysteriously just cannot observe them.  I am too skeptical to blindly accept that.

Cheers,
Dave