Re: [asa] Cameron- question of Adam

From: Cameron Wybrow <wybrowc@sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu Jun 18 2009 - 08:36:02 EDT

Bernie:

The fusion event seems "obvious" to you and me, because our minds are
already attuned to looking for naturalistic
explanations, and in biology for evolutionary explanations. Would it be
"obvious" to someone who had never heard of the theory of evolution, who
wasn't already predisposed to the idea that there might be wholly
naturalistic
transitions from one species to another, and who tended to assume (if only
unconsciously) that origins were a mystery beyond scientific explanation? I
doubt it. To such a person, the oddity which we explain by a fusion event
would appear merely as a puzzling anomaly. Even if the physical "fit" of
the chromosomes were noticed, a historical explanation would not necessarily
spring to mind to a person not already educated (by cosmology, geology, and
evolutionary biology) to look for such explanations. Remember that the
Western mind was well-steeped in evolutionary thinking before the techniques
for observing chromosomes were even developed. I doubt that an evolutionary
explanation would have spontaneously occurred to scientists who lived before
age of historical thinking; e.g., Isaac Newton, or Roger Bacon, or
Aristotle.

Bernie, I am not defending YEC literalism. I am merely relaying to you an
argument which a conservative Calvinist made against me when *I* dared to
tentatively endorse common descent (not Darwinism, just common descent) and
employed the "fusion event" as evidence. He argued that a mysterious,
unpredictable, unfathomable God who keeps his own counsels and doesn't have
to explain his reasons to us (i.e., the Biblical God) could easily create
genomes which give the impression of a past fusion event, for all kinds of
reasons. And he's right -- such a God could have. So how can Collins say
that the YEC explanation is wrong?

You have to make up your mind whether the charge against YEC is that it is a
*false* description of what happened in the past or an *unscientific*
description of what happened in the past. The methodological/metaphysical
split will allow you to say the latter, but not the former. But if you say
the latter to a YEC, the YEC will say: "*Of course* our explanation is not
scientific. Who ever said there should be a scientific explanation for the
origin of man?" So you cannot win. Your "proofs" for your scientific
explanation of the origin of man are not proofs unless only naturalistic
explanations for origins count. Remove that rule, and any possible data you
could come up with can be equally explained, by a sufficiently stubborn YEC,
by the action of a God who works in mysterious ways. You can offer the
theological opinion that the YEC person believes in a silly God, or has a
dorkish reading of Genesis; you can argue that YEC reasoning is a desperate
attempt to preserve a pre-ordained conclusion, against strong genetic
counter-evidence, by appealing to utterly untestable notions about divine
motivation and divine action; you can say that YEC is based on theology
rather than "science" (as TE defines it); but you cannot say that science
has "disproved" YEC.

Cameron.