[asa] The Patient Creator

From: Nucacids <nucacids@wowway.com>
Date: Wed Jun 17 2009 - 15:09:18 EDT

If the Universe is 14 billion years old, and humans evolved only about 300 million years ago, then Creation existed without humans for 13.7 billion years. For some, this is a problem for Christian faith: "it makes no sense to imagine that an all-powerful God would need to devise this vast universal Rube Goldberg contrivance for the sake of creating life, rather than just doing it in one fell swoop of His mighty hand."

This argument is essentially subjective and it targets the omnipotence of God. The idea is that a truly all-powerful God would not have to employ such an immensely long, drawn out, inefficient process since He had the power to bring Creation into existence in an instantaneous act. Why bother with 13.7 billion years of irrelevant history when what matters is the origin of humankind?

Now, I have already noted that even Genesis does not teach an instantaneous, all-at-once, creation. Certainly, God could have created all of reality in one fell swoop of His mighty hand. And He could have done so last Thursday. But that is not what happened. So we need to ask why it is that creation is so old and why it is that creation existed as long as it did without humans. But before getting to that directly, we should also pause to consider that this ancient Universe is consistent with the teachings about God.

More here: http://shadowtolight.wordpress.com/2009/06/17/the-patient-creator/

Mike