Re: [asa] RE: (irreducible complexity and evolution) design and the nature of science (was: Re: [asa] Re: Gingerich on TE and ID)

From: Gregory Arago <gregoryarago@yahoo.ca>
Date: Wed Jun 17 2009 - 07:34:36 EDT

This is a good point wrt how the IDM speaks about 'organisms' as analogous with 'machines.' Dembski has clearly stated that 'intelligent design' as he conceives and perceives of it, is *not* a mechanistic theory or hypothesis. At the same time, the force of their argument to 'design' is at least partly based on the idea that since 'molecular machines' display similarities to machines that are human-made (e.g. mousetrap, if one could call this a simple 'machine'), there seems to be room for more clarity about the role that 'mechanism' and mechincal things play in IDT.

A simple example is the Wiki entry on mechanism, which alerts some different definitions of the term.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanism

Iain wrote: "analogies with cars etc are really quite misleading IMO."

I would agree and say the same of all human-made things. ID can be anthropomorphising to the Creator when it confuses the terms.

Gregory