Re: [asa] RE: (irreducible complexity and evolution) design and the nature of science (was: Re: [asa] Re: Gingerich on TE and ID)

From: Cameron Wybrow <wybrowc@sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue Jun 16 2009 - 16:55:09 EDT

Iain:

Your reply is good, and we understand each other now. I think I can make this short.

Yes, you are right that it is the definition of irreducible complexity over which we have disagreed; that's what I tried to say in my initial response to you -- that you weren't using Behe's definition, but Miller's tampered-with definition. (And OK, I shouldn't have said "malicious", but "mischievous" was too weak; let me just say that, rhetorically speaking, Miller does not always exactly "play cricket" in debate with Behe.)

The Conservapedia entry is more accurate than the Wikipedia entry. Unlike the Wikipedia entry, it clearly separates the definition proper from the subsequent reasoning. It of course would never be a policy option for the Wikipedia people to conduct themselves honestly, and to restrict themselves to Behe's definition, rather than to creatively amplify it so as to overload it, making it easier to attack later. But contrary to the Wikipedia people, "irreducible complexity" as a concept doesn't "assert" anything about evolution at all.

Good wisecrack about "godless liberals". These discussions could use a bit more humour.

I think the best way of putting the matter is this: In principle, we can identify when a system is "irreducibly complex". The argument is then over whether "irreducibly complex" systems can be produced by Darwinian means.

You are right that the definition of IC doesn't rule out the possibility of co-option. I granted that in my last post. But co-option is a mere abstract possibility, until some detailed mechanical proposals are given. If all you have is two systems that have a subset of proteins in common, you have no evidence for Darwinian evolution. Example: CRT television screens were used as computer monitors, but it doesn't follow that CRT television screens evolved into computers by a chance process. The designers of the first personal computers made use of the existing complex component (the CRT television screen) as a component in a new irreducibly complex system (keyboard-monitor-computer). For all we know, some designer incorporated the already existing design of the TTSS because it was a perfect component for the bacterial flagellum. In order to establish that the TTSS (or whatever precursor you imagine) became the flagellum by Darwinian means, you would need to provide a hypothetical pathway, a set of changes likely to occur without guidance or foresight, that could be tested for genetic soundness, selectability, etc. In other words, the onus is on the person who is convinced that the flagellum arose via Darwinian means, to show how it did so.

I think some ID proponents overstate their case when they say that the flagellum "couldn't possibly" have arisen through a series of co-options. It's virtually impossible to prove a negative. I think that the proper ID argument is that "there is no known pathway to the flagellum, or to any identified irreducibly complex biological system, via Darwinian processes". And the proper response of Darwinian theory is to try to find at least one case, somewhere in the organic world, where a plausible pathway can be shown. If there is one such pathway, there may be more. But the Darwinians have yet to find that first pathway.

Anyhow, I agree with you that the mere fact of irreducible complexity doesn't disprove the possibility of Darwinian evolution. Rather, it gives Darwinian evolution a huge hill to climb. I think it would be a fair compromise if ID people would cease to use the word "impossible", and if Darwinians would acknowledge the hugeness of the hill and the fact that they don't know how to climb it.

Cameron.