Re: [asa] Snavely "Aunt Lucy" lecture

From: <gmurphy10@neo.rr.com>
Date: Tue Jun 16 2009 - 12:00:20 EDT

A comment on the last sentence here. The fact that Darwin barely touched on any connection between his theory & humanity in The Origin shows that "favored races" in its subtitle could hardly be focused on a distinction of human "races." & while we do refer (problematically) to different "races" among H. sapiens, we also refer to the whole species as "the human race". Michael R., Ted D. or someone else familiar with the history may be able to elucidate the ways in which "race" & its relationship with "species" were used in Darwin's time.

Which would be interesting but of course wouldn't keep people from trying to prove that evolution is "racist" if that's what they want to believe.

Shalom,
George