Re: [asa] RE: (irreducible complexity and evolution) design and the nature of science (was: Re: [asa] Re: Gingerich on TE and ID)

From: Cameron Wybrow <wybrowc@sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon Jun 15 2009 - 19:40:37 EDT

Iain:

You are quite wrong. You have not understood Behe's definition at all. You have made the same mistake that Ken Miller has made. The fact that some parts of an irreducibly complex machine can be used in another machine to serve a useful function does not prove that the first machine is not irreducibly complex. The fact that the wheel and axle of an automobile can be taken out and used for a go-cart does not prove that the wheel and axle is not a necessary functioning part of the automobile. The automobile (I mean the main parts thereof, not the radio or the leather seats) remains an irreducibly complex machine.

To disprove the claim that the flagellum is irreducibly complex, one would need to rip out a part of the flagellum and have it still function *as a flagellum* (not as a Type III secretory system).

Miller misreads Behe, I believe maliciously. In your case, I will assume it is an honest error. Please read Behe's rejoinders to Miller for further clarification, from the horse's mouth, if you don't trust my answer. They're easy to find.

Cameron.