Re: [asa] Emergence

From: Randy Isaac <randyisaac@comcast.net>
Date: Thu Jun 11 2009 - 22:08:57 EDT

Hazen isn't suggesting these are sufficient, he's just identifying common
features that always seem to be present in emergence of complexity. He
didn't state either "necessary" or "sufficient", just "common".

I think emergence isn't always precisely defined. It can be used in the more
narrow sense as you did and some people use it in a broader sense to refer
to any characteristic that could not be predicted from a knowledge of only
one or a very few individuals.

Randy