Re: [asa] Emergence

From: Bill Powers <wjp@swcp.com>
Date: Thu Jun 11 2009 - 17:07:14 EDT

Randy et al.

Remember that emergence, at least classically, is nonreductionist,
implying that what emerges is not merely surprising, but novel and
inexplicable in terms of the "base" level from which it emerges.

So it is not like the "slipperiness" of water.

What he has so far provided as "necessary" conditions seem likely to be
insufficient to produce emergence, i.e, there are too many examples that
have these conditions but would not be regarded as truly emergent.

bill