Re: design and the nature of science (was: Re: [asa] Re: Gingerich on TE and ID)

From: Cameron Wybrow <wybrowc@sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu Jun 11 2009 - 03:51:43 EDT

Schwarzwald:

I meant nothing tricky or subtle in saying that natural laws rules out guidance. If a boat sinks in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, and Churchill and Stalin are thrown into the ocean, the water doesn't have any "local choice"; it can't decide to not drown Churchill because he was a good man, but to drown Stalin because he was a bad one. Similarly, if a farmer puts up an electric fence, while it may keep the cattle in, it operates blindly and, if a beloved pet or child should touch it (as has sadly often happened), the fence cannot make a local choice not to deliver its deadly charge. Natural laws don't play favourites. This is especially important in biological evolution, since whether or not man will ever evolve may come down to whether a single shrew-like animal is picked off by an eagle. Natural laws can do nothing whatsoever to stop this contingent event from happening, and Darwin did not suppose that there were any other causes to natural events than natural laws. For this reason, he saw no design in the sequence of contingent events that produced the various species.

I don't know what Charles Babbage said or what he may have meant. Certainly natural laws aren't like baseball bats or hammers or sleeping pills, which can be picked up and used by voluntary agents for good or evil on a case-by-case basis. Natural laws operate inexorably, and therefore reliably, but also therefore pitilessly. You can't have the reliability without the pitilessness. That is part of the explanation of "the problem of evil". The only sense in which one might say that natural laws are "guided" is in the sense that God created them and therefore intended them to do what they do. I would call that design rather than guidance, but the terminology isn't important. What's important is that there is no local variability. Therefore, God cannot sustain the laws of gravity *and* save me if I am falling off a cliff. He can either continue to will the laws of gravity, and use them to kill me, or he can miraculously suspend them to save me. Similarly, God cannot will nature to work exclusively by Darwinian processes *and* guarantee that the eagle won't eat the shrewlike ancestor of man. He either has to see the evolution of man cut off by the eagle, or he has to intervene miraculously to save the little mammal. But Darwin spoke contemptuously of miracles, so we can rule out the second option in his case. And that means that for Darwin, man's existence can be nothing but a lucky break -- the outcome of unguided chance.

As for whether you should care about Darwinism -- no reason why you should. I don't, either, because I think Darwinism is false. But bear in mind that I'm not the one claiming that 100% pure Darwinism is compatible with 100% pure Christian theology. It was Ken Miller who said that. And generally speaking, even when Collins and the other TEs have granted that Darwinism is wrong, they have granted that it is wrong only in its "metaphysics", not in its major "scientific" claims. But that's evasive. Either nature works as Darwin says it does, or it doesn't. (If everyone here would just talk about "nature" instead of talking about metaphysics versus science, or methodological versus metaphysical naturalism, we could get farther in these discussions.) The question is, does Darwin correctly or incorrectly describe nature? His description is more or less as follows: nature is run by universal laws which admit of no exceptions; all events that happen are the result of these natural laws plus chance; the natural laws have always been the same from the time of the creation of the earth, so that, in geology and biology, "origins science" cannot be separated from "operational science"; therefore, the origin of species falls under the province of science, not metaphysics or theology; empirical evidence and reasoning from that evidence reveals that species originate due to a combination of variability and natural selection (with a smidgen of sexual selection thrown in); the most complex organs and systems and habits and instincts can all be explained by such combinations -- if there is even one spot in the evolutionary chain where intervention is required, my whole theory is scientifically worthless.

How does TE stand in relation to this description? The answer is: confusedly. When TEs (as they often do) take Behe to mean that Darwinian processes must be supplemented by "miracles", they scream about "God of the gaps" reasoning and agree firmly that nature is run by universal laws, not by ad hoc actions of God; but then they turn around and say that God acts in evolution. Well, how does he act if Darwin's account of the universal laws is correct? Where is there a space where he can act? For Ted Davis and George Murphy, that space is provided by QI; but what about for all the other TEs who have not endorsed the QI explanation? In their case, the argument looks like exactly the special pleading for miracles that they deny to Behe. (Note: Behe does not in fact insist on miracles, and never has, but that's not my point here.)

It is such confusions which guarantee the limited appeal of TE, both to philosophers who demand consistent, rigorous, step-by-step reasoning, and to the general public which likes plain answers to plain questions. Regarding origins, what the general public wants to know is: If I throw a bunch of atoms and simple molecules into a steaming hot ocean, *and if no designing intelligence intervenes*, will I get Man 3 billion years later? Let's look at everyone's answers:

Dawkins says, "YES!"

YEC says, "NO!"

ID says, "NO -- unless the properties of the atoms and the laws of nature are fine-tuned, which implies design."

And TE says -- ?

Cameron.