Re: design and the nature of science (was: Re: [asa] Re: Gingerich on TE and ID)

From: Schwarzwald <schwarzwald@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Jun 11 2009 - 01:02:52 EDT

Heya Cameron,

A comment: "natural laws and processes like gravity, magnetism, and so on"
don't rule out guidance at all on their own, unless you assert "guidance is
ruled out" almost as a brute fact / take that metaphysical stance to begin
with. Even Darwin seemed to admit that guidance and intention was possible
in his theory - he just thought (in fact, he seemed to go through pains to
argue) that evolution was "too evil" a process for that to be true. Either
way, the mere existence of artificial selection would be enough to prove him
wrong on this point, as would various engineering applications of natural
processes and so on. There's nothing about natural laws and processes that
make them immune to guidance, or being used and directed towards certain
ends - Charles Babbage seemed to realize this earlier than anyone.

I agree with you entirely when you explain that Darwin's thoughts - the
"Original Darwinism" - were directly aimed at excluding God and divine
purpose/design from being at all present in the world. I also agree that
once you exclude Darwin's viewpoints about the presence of lack of God's
intervention, design, purpose, guidance, etc from his science, you're losing
the lion's share of "Darwinism", and it isn't the "Original Darwinism"
anymore. Still, I don't really see why Dave should alter his view. You say
if he excludes metaphysics, there's "grave consequences" for Darwinian
theory. But your alternative is to regard Darwinian Theory as incompatible
with Christianity and wrong besides. Rather seems like the same result for
how Darwinism is viewed/treated - just, the second option opens the door to
ID ideas being classed as science.

Dave and I had some disagreements in this thread, but his view about both
"guided and unguided are outside science" mirrors my own, for all practical
purposes. If your stance is "That totally guts Darwinism!", my reply is -
why in the world should I care if it does?