Re: design and the nature of science (was: Re: [asa] Re: Gingerich on TE and ID)

From: Cameron Wybrow <wybrowc@sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu Jun 11 2009 - 00:15:22 EDT

Dave Siemens may choose not to read this post, but for others who might be interested, I would point out some problems with his reply to Schwarzwald:

DS: "You've blown the game by noting "guided and unguided." That's metaphysical. The proper stance is that science cannot speak to the matter. Murray's later post makes the same error. TE does not say that development is unguided, it merely recognizes that the decision is not within the scope of the empirical study of nature."

Regarding the notion of divine guidance in evolution, TE speaks with many voices, and more often than not very unclearly. However, classical Darwinism is clear, and does say, or imply, that evolutionary development is unguided. The whole point of Darwin's theory was to account for the existence of species in terms of variation and natural selection, which are represented in his argument as unguided, even if he doesn't regularly use the word. Why do I say this? Evolution must be unguided, because it is conceived by Darwin as driven by impersonal natural laws and processes, which, like gravity, magnetism, and so on, have no intentionality, and cannot aim for any end in particular cases. Darwin understood this as a principle required by all truly scientific explanation -- universal laws, not particular volitions or designs, must be used to explain natural events. Mars is not trying to orbit the sun, nor is any angel pushing Mars around the sun. Mars is driven around the sun by a blind natural necessity. Darwin sought explanations of that sort for the origin of species. And such explanations rule out guidance. (They don't rule out God as the author of the laws which make Mars orbit the sun, or which allow species to evolve; but they rule out local guidance by God in particular cases of planetary motion or evolutionary change.)

Now one might say that TE agrees with Darwin on this point. Yes, but there is a crucial difference. Darwin did not adopt the TE gimmickery of separating "metaphysical naturalism" from "methodological naturalism"; i.e., he did *not* think that "naturalism" (to use the jargon that people here use, though like David Campbell I don't like it much) was merely a heuristic fiction, convenient for the investigation of nature, which made no claims about the way nature "really" operated. He thought that "naturalism" was the right way to approach nature because he thought that nature actually operated exclusively through universal natural laws. He thought that the "nature" uncovered by science (good science, that is) was nature itself.

So in fact Darwin did hold one "metaphysical" belief -- the belief that nature is in fact driven by universal laws, and was in principle entirely explicable by them. But it was *not* a second "metaphysical" belief on his part that there was no local guidance or design in the evolutionary process. Rather, it was (at least in the context of the 19th-century physics that Darwin knew) a logical implication of the first. Once Laplacian-style laws are in force, no local guidance by the author of those laws -- barring a miraculous suspension of them -- is possible. Darwin was therefore completely logical -- in his day -- to believe that evolution was *in reality* unguided, and driven entirely by a combination of blind necessity and chance. I therefore find that Dawkins and Coyne are completely faithful interpreters of Darwin in their rejection of guidance with regard to the evolutionary process. It is the TEs who are unfaithful to Darwin in claiming that his rejection of guidance is a gratuitous metaphysical addition to the "science" part of his theory, and that Darwinism is compatible with the notion of guidance.

Of course, today it can be argued that quantum theory and/or chaos theory provide theoretical room, not available to Darwin, for local guidance within a framework of impersonal law. I don't reject that suggestion out of hand, as a possible means for providing for divine guidance within an orderly nature. In fact, it ultimately undermines Darwin's anti-teleological intentions, which is fine with me. And it can easily be harmonized with the possibility of design detection, because there is no difference in the procedures for design detection, whether the patterns in living creatures are caused by the action of a big glowing finger of God that everyone can see, or by invisible quantum shifts. The question is only whether the patterns are of such a nature that the design inference is warranted.

There is, of course, an easy way for Dave Siemens out of all my objections here. Instead of trying to prove that Darwin's "metaphysics" can be separated from his "science" (which they can't be, without grave consequences for the strength of Darwinian theory), he could simply accept my useful distinction between "evolution" (understood as a neutral name for an inferred *process*, with no assumptions made about whether the process is guided or unguided), and "Darwinism" (which is the view, held by true Darwinists, -- Darwin, Huxley, Simpson, Coyne, Mayr, Gould, Dawkins, etc. -- that evolution is inherently unguided). He could agree with me that "Darwinian evolution" (in its pure, unadulterated form) is incompatible with Christian theology, while insisting that evolution itself, as a process, may involve intelligent input, may be guided (*really* guided, I mean) and therefore may be compatible with Christian theology. Many people in the ID camp would agree with him if he were to say that.

Cameron.