RE: [asa] Origins of Life

From: Alexanian, Moorad <alexanian@uncw.edu>
Date: Wed Jun 10 2009 - 22:42:36 EDT

David,

The experimental sciences deal with the phenomenological not with the ontological domain of Nature. Metaphysics deals with ontological domain, that is, with the question of being or existence. Scientists establish existence operationally and not in the abstract. Surely, experimenters make all sorts of assumptions but they are all regarding the phenomenological not the ontological. I agree that the Christian faith considers as factual the existence of an external world that is regular owing to the nature of the Creator. This is not only conducive to good science but provided the ambient for the creation of modern science.

Moorad