Re: [asa] Origins of Life

From: David Campbell <pleuronaia@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jun 10 2009 - 18:49:22 EDT

> Truly, do experimental scientists need any metaphysical assumptions to do their research? <

Although they need not be explicit, or even can be not in accord with
the metaphysics that the experimenter professes, in doing an
experiment one makes several metaphysical assumptions, such as

There is some sort of external reality.
Experimenters can meaningfully study that reality.
The external reality usually behaves in a regular manner.
Studying the external reality is worthwhile.
Claims about the external reality ought to be tested experimentally.
Results of experiments ought to be reported truthfully.

All of these can reasonably deduced from a Christian metaphysical
position, though they are compatible with others as well.

--
Dr. David Campbell
425 Scientific Collections