Re: [asa] Interview with Denis Lamoureux

From: Schwarzwald <schwarzwald@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jun 10 2009 - 05:56:21 EDT

Heya all,

Seconding some of what Murray is saying here, I also think it's important to
remember (I doubt anyone is unaware of this, but it's worth repeating)
sometimes "misunderstandings" about these subjects (evolution mandating
naturalism, some ID views being very far from YEC/creationism, etc) aren't
always misunderstandings. Like it or not, there are calculated political
maneuvers involved. When Dawkins and company say explicitly that their goal
is to make Christians look bad however they can rather than engage them
intellectually, it gives away that part of the game - and that isn't exactly
a new attitude. One difference I'd have with Murray is that I'm not sure how
much of the attitude he's encountered (evolution entails
naturalism/non-guidance by definition!) is naivete/misunderstanding, rather
than conscious political posturing. If evolution can be guided or part of
God's work even in principle, quite a lot of intellectual, emotional and
political investment in "science" goes right out the window for a (small,
perhaps, but aggressive) number of people.

Also, I used to be extremely hostile to YECs, and I have never stopped
regretting letting myself behave like that. Even if I have deep
disagreements with them (and believe me, I do and then some) I consider it
of vital importance to approach the issue thoughtfully and respectfully.
I'll even go so far as biting my tongue in the face of some hostility,
though thankfully that's pretty rare. The upside has been tremendous
opportunities to engage people personally on a subject and hear out the TE
(or quasi-ID) case that they'd typically reject out of hand.