Re: [asa] Interview with Denis Lamoureux

From: Murray Hogg <muzhogg@netspace.net.au>
Date: Wed Jun 10 2009 - 05:32:31 EDT

Hi Merv,

Glad we cleared that up!

I think you're right about the role that TE's can play, but I'll offer this observation: many of the TE's I know personally are really quite hostile to YEC's and others in the purportedly "pseudo-scientific" camp. They would welcome the opportunity to engage with even strong anti-theistic evolutionists, but don't really seem to appreciate that they have a ministry to fellow Christians.

Please realize that I'm certainly not ascribing such attitudes to all TE's - just some who I know in person (nobody on the ASA list, in other words!). It's a bit sad, but something I think we should work to rectify.

I've noticed in my brief Wikipedia experience, by the way, that there seems to be a tendency on the part of non-theistic evolutionists to want to drive a wedge between TE and any other form of "creationism" - they simply won't accept that some ID theorists AREN'T all that far from the evolutionary mainstream. My read of this is that it's a deliberate attempt to isolate all forms of evolution from criticism. I hope the Christian community doesn't fall for it as I think there might be somethings that TE's can learn from other "sides" in the debate.

Blessings,
Murray