Re: [asa] Interview with Denis Lamoureux

From: Merv Bitikofer <mrb22667@kansas.net>
Date: Wed Jun 10 2009 - 01:26:30 EDT

Thanks for the extra explanation ... I see your points now --and my
misunderstanding of your previous post is rectified.

I don't think the realization of how strong the naturalistic assumptions
can be shows naiveté. It's good to be reminded of how arguments can
sound to the ears of those who have long been immersed in "the other
side" (which includes more than just atheists but many Christian
anti-evolutionists as well). The given predisposition for both is that
evolution = "no God" by definition! I think TEs can offer a valuable
service here (if done right) that comes from a significant advantage
many TEs have here: many have actually been on BOTH sides of that
fence and hence have some empathy and understanding for where people are
coming from, which they can hopefully use to gently challenge those
predispositions and build bridges expanding others' intellectual and
theological horizons. (I'm assuming here that a significant number of
Christians who are now TE migrated there from the warfare model
--probably gradually and with bumps and bruises along the way. But
those (Christians) still caught in the warfare model have probably never
been on both sides of this fence to see / understand clearly from the
non-warfare point of view. They are at a disadvantage in trying to
understand TE. And the self-labeled "anti-religious" are at an even
larger intellectual disadvantage yet, as they have locked themselves
into an even smaller box; although many of them may have migrated there
from early zealous religious upbringing. But that will (I'll wager)
almost always have been a warfare model view of religion that they
turned their backs on. To them, all religion & Christianity is painted
with the same brush.

--Merv